Saturday, April 5, 2014

7 Things No One Tells You About The Service Industry

So, I am a character.
By this, I don't mean that I was created in a book, I mean, I have a lot of personality, 
and much that I do not show within my professional image.

However, somethings need to be shared.
Any one who is in the service industry will read this and laugh.
Others who are not, will read this and begin to think a little deeper about those who are in contact within their life...
and others wont even blink twice at this post and will keep scrolling.

I have came across this subject by myself, and my fellow peers who run business in a service industry.
By this, I mean, the money we receive for doing what we do, is not tangible, and is simply a service.

Here are some annoying things about this industry that no body tells you about... until.. well.. you read a blogpost from a photographer who is venting about why it is indeed, truly, frustrating.

This is not meant to offend any one of any type - however, it is for you to laugh - and maybe realize some things about these services that you didnt before.

1. Your friends always assume they get free things or discounts. 


I have never been the one to assume my friend wasn't going to charge me for a hair cut because we hung out the night before, or not make me pay for my drink at the bar because she works as a bar - tender.
However, nor am I the person to tell people that I want them to pay in full because I have to spend hours on my computer editing the photos that I maybe spent 45-60 minutes taking (lets not even talk about wedding times)

Although some people choose the hobbies they love as professions, (here is a shocker) they don't always enjoy it 100 percent of the time. Sometimes it gets boring, sometimes it takes longer than others, but most of the time, it is a job, and it is tiresome. 

Unless they ask you to be involved with a self - fulfilling project - don't ask for a discount. If you enjoy what they do, and respect them, offer to pay in full first. This way, they will keep doing their job that you love.

2. People always ask for something in a round about way.


Now, this one doesn't pertain to me, but I have a few friends that are coaches, PT's, or have done something life changing. Instead of hiring these people, people message them and ask them for advice or "what should they do..."
Now, unless this person strictly loves helping people, volunteers their service, they probably wont take too kindly to this message. Their thoughts will be "why don't you hire me, and I will help."

3. People assume you need them for free

This one does, in fact, pertain to me. 
If you are creating a portfolio, or some sort of resume seeking project, you will tell people about what you have accomplished and what you are working on.
They barely listen.
They just ask if you need someone.

For me, this is models. 
This year my project is booked to the rim. 
I have people every week who I have asked, or have accepted as a model. 
I dont really need any more models, but I have people telling me all the time "if you need a model.."
Well, I was just telling you why I started the project, and I did mention I have 52 of them... but yes, I will keep you in mind.

For tattoo artists this may be, 
"I'm always available if you need practice," even though they have a portfolio book and have been doing it for 6 years. 
No, I'm sorry folks, we don't do portfolio work any more. This is our job.

4. People change their mind - fast

Usually people message about prices,
you have a social interaction and discuss services for prices...
they book you.
Great!

Then they message you telling you that their 2nd cousin's nephew bought a nice (whatever it may be) and decided to do the service for them instead for free.

Now, lets go over this carefully.
In a service industry, this can range from a variety of different results.
If someone just picked up cutting hair, I would be terrified of letting them cut mine as a service for free.
If someone started just tattooing for fun, again... the fear.
If someone started building houses for fun... and they mentioned, "hey, hire me, I'll do it for free," 
well.. you get the picture.

I am seriously all about people doing what they love. 
However, I think that a beginning should ALWAYS work with a professional first.
I understand money is tight in some situations, but I promise you wont be as satisfied with your outcome as you would with a professional. 
In my case,
Ask the new-bee to come along and take other photographs for you for free -
 during the receptions and capture candids.
More photographs for you - and hey, you can send the professional home after the big stuff is taken care of. 
You wouldn't hire a new construction worker that has no education or experience for your home right? For me, photographs are the same thing. 

5. Did I mention people expecting things for free because they know you?

Well... that again

6. People complaining about prices

Now, this one, I am on the edge about because of a few reasons.
1. I work with people and their financial ability.
2. I have to explain to them why the cost is what it is.
3. Sometimes it's just not worth the fight.

Like any good service - you get what you pay for.
In my field of work - I actually am very cheap on wedding prices.
A standard price is around $2,000. 
Now.
I don't have the heart to charge this. Even with new equipment, even with experience, even with a degree. However, I do understand the cost and why it is the way it is.
My prices are still high in my own eyes as a consumer.
But as a photographer, my prices are very low.

Think of it this way.
You spend 6-10 hours on the day of a wedding. 
Basically you are in charge.
Yes, it is stressful.
No, it's not happy the entire time.

Now, I am not a wedding planner, but I basically end up one by the end of the day.
After these 1,000 images are captured, (or more, depending on if I have a second shooter for the day)
I must go through each one.
I LITERALLY edit each one, which most photographers do not do.
This takes 1-2 weeks, solid, straight through. 
Minimum of 72 hours total.

Add all of that time up, and the exhaustion of straining your eyes at the computer, making sure your clients look perfect in every shot you managed to give them.
There is your time. There is your cost.

I have seen this with other fields of work as well.
If you pay 50 bucks for a service (depending on what it is)
well, you get what you pay for. 
I also learned this in retail and certain brands compared to others - I thought it was just a saying - Nope,
it's real.

7. People willing to help - but not if you need help

When you actually need people to help you with a project, 
but because its not a "pretty picture," or something they desire themselves, 
they actually will bail and not help you at all.

This happened to me for my senior thesis. I had a really cool idea, but because it wasn't fashion or anything that would make someone look stunning, I was left with no one.

If you help someone achieve a goal, they will probably do something for you in the future.
Im sure this pertains to other fields of work as well. But at the moment, this is all I can say about my line of work. 

Give and get.





Those are the main topics I really wanted to discuss.
Honestly, I love photographing for people for the outcome of their reaction.
 I love making people feel wanted, beautiful, and happy.
But, sometimes people simply dont understand, this is, in fact my job.
I dont necessarily do it for "fun" although, I get much satisfaction from it.
That's part of having a job you love right?

But let's keep in mind.
It's my job.

Thanks for reading.
I hope you found this entertaining, yet informational. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this. This applies to so many aspects of the service industry! It's good to see it in writing. I've never been a fan of the ever popular assumption that because you know someone your service is free. The words 'hey, hook me up' is just....aggravating. I want to slap people when I hear that.
    You do fantastic work! It is worth the money. You provide a service that allows people to share memories for a lifetime for generations. Stay true to you. You have a great outlook on everything. Keep it up!

    Ton of respect to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome at what you do!! Ones that "are always there when you need help" but really not... I'm my eyes are true friends what so ever. I had a teacher that taught me. "Do onto others as you would have done to you" live my life by it. Hard to find good people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And now we have found good people ;)

      Delete