Friday, October 17, 2014

How do you plan for events on your wedding day?

So you are getting married?!
Congrats!

Need some advice?

Planning times and events can seem very complicated, but as long as you stay in communication with those you have hired, they will advise you on what is best.

Did you hire me?




If so - this is how I work.
I am a really laid back photographer. 
If you need me to keep you on a deadline, I will, but you won't ever see me panic or just stop whatever is going on to switch gears. I will however, keep up on schedule as best as I can while being as relaxed as I can. If you are stressed, than I am stressed, so for the sake of us both, I try to keep the day light, fun, and relaxed.

This is your day.
And I want you to feel like that. 
I want to be the one thing that you aren't worried about. The one thing that you know will go right.
Whether it is raining or sunny, I want you to know that I am going to capture you and your day the best that I can. 

But while I have your attention, let me give you some advice on what I have found turns out most successful.

1. Traditional Reveal Vs "First Look."





A lot of older generations believe that the first look should happen as you are walking down the aisle, and maybe that's what you want. I know it is what I thought I wanted for my own wedding, until I became a photographer. 

I'm now, doing a "first look" 6 hours prior to the wedding.

Why?

Being a photographer, the photos are important to me, but what is more important to me, is that I actually go through the action of getting married, and enjoy why I am getting married. My Husband. Sometimes I feel that we get SO wrapped up in photographing the moment, instead of enjoying them (seems like an issue with our generation). I know, I am a photographer saying this, but it couldn't be more true.

First looks allow you to enjoy a peaceful moment with your "to be," and allow some more time for images in a beautiful setting, instead of quickly posed rushed ones in an "ok" setting.

All of the photographs can be done before the wedding, and you can just focus on GETTING MARRIED and HAVING FUN at the reception instead of the 45 minutes of rushed images that don't even touch the quality of the 2 hour time frame before the wedding.


However, if you desire traditional, and plan accordingly, that can be done too! Just keep in mind, if you have a recessional line - that takes time so plan for it. If you don't - HOORAY for more time!

2. Family Photographs

These typically happen right after the ceremony. 
I have been able to pump these out in 15 minutes, while making everyone happy, when my bride and groom make a list for me to call out names.
I will not call them out on my own if I don't know your family- and if this part of the day isn't planned for, I will ask a family member to do that for me. 
I don't know your family  - and neither does any outside photographer - so lists are beautiful.

3. Bridal Party Times

When planning times it takes to photograph bridal party's ask your photographer about their workflow.


For Me:


Reveal & Wedding - 2  Hours planned in total for Bridal (30-45 Min), Bride and Groom (30-45 min) and Family (30 min)  is perfect for before the wedding. Then when you get married its all fun filled candids after that! (Keep in mind - life is crazy and its good to start photographs 4 hours prior to the wedding just in case something goes wrong... or grandpa doesn't show up in time) I also like to give an hour of time before the wedding to just relax, no posed photos, just enjoy the moment.

For Traditional - 1 hour before the ceremony for Girls and Guys in total, 30 min after ceremony for family and 45 min for Bride and Groom and Bridal party together. 

4. Reception

I have seen too many times when the reception becomes an unorganized and unplanned event. 
Make sure you have an idea on what times  you want events to happen. 
Because as much as your DJ and photographer want to stay till 11 to see you cut the cake, they don't.
Remember, you are paying for time - and if their contract says 11 hours, you want all of your important events to happen in that time.

You can do dancing and slideshows when people are finishing up eating, just make sure you feed your service provides (dj and photographer and videographer if applicable) before you start your events (we are people too!).
If you're unsure of how to schedule times, just ask one of us - we have a lot of experience in telling you what works and what doesn't.

5. Special Photographs

A lot of brides and grooms get tired of posing for photographs after about.. 6 (assuming you start getting ready for the day around 10 or so). If you want a special photo with just you and your "to be," tell your photographer you want to be pulled away from the reception to get an awesome photograph with strobes or lights outside (this is also where you have to ask the education of your photographer... because there are some that have no clue how to do this).
But if you want this - also tell us the time you are thinking - because if you are having a blast, we, and I, obviously don't want to ruin that.


Have any more questions?
Feel free to throw them at me!

Thanks for Following!

-Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment